Thursday, April 18, 2013

Charly Nicole

Charly Nicole Mealey
March 14, 2013
at 1:57pm
7 pounds 11 ounces
19 inches

Here is her your Birth story:
On March 13 I had a doctors appointment.  I was dilated to a 3 and 80% effaced, the midwife stripped my membranes (it didn't hurt at all, so I didn't think it would work).  She then asked me if I wanted to be induced, I was thinking she would schedule it for the next week and then she said "How about tomorrow?"  I of course said yes!  I was a little nervous, I have never been induced before and I didn't know how it would go.  I spoke with the nurse later that day and she said the hospital would call me sometime the next morning between 6am-12 and schedule it.
I spent the rest of the day doing laundry, cleaning, and putting together any last minute things for you.  Then the evening was spent with your brother and sister.  We were all so excited for you to get here!
I barely slept that night, I was so uncomfortable and excited that my mind kept racing!  
March 14:
We got the call from the hospital at 9 am and they told me to be at the hospital at 10.  We quickly got ready, Uncle Dustin came and picked up Maddix and Emery and daddy, Nana, Aunt Lisa and I headed to the hospital.
We got checked in about 10:30 and the nurse came in and started me on the pitocin just after 11.
I was dilated to a 3 when I checked into the hospital and was having contractions but couldn't feel them.  They also started me on the antibiotic because I was strep b positive.  They came in again at 11:30 and upped the dose of pitocin, I started to feel the contractions at that point but they weren't painful at all. 
I decided at that point that I would get the epidural after they upped my next dose, so around 12.  They came in at 12 and increased my dose and I asked for the epidural (Why feel any pain?)  So at around 12:30 I got the epidural, I could feel it working but I could still feel almost everything, my stomach was numb but nothing below that.
Aunt Coley and the girls got here during this time and they were all so excited to see you!
At 1:30 they came in to up my dose again and the nurse asked if I wanted to be checked. They checked me and I was dilated to a 5.  I could still feel everything so they wanted me to turn to the other side and then they said they would call the anesthesiologist in to give me another dose and then at 2:45 they would break my water.
As soon as I turned to the other side I felt this awful pain and then my water broke.  The pain continued so the midwife came in and check me at 1:45, I was dilated to a 10 and it was time to push.  You were born at 1:57, I pushed 4 times.  The pain was unreal.  I could feel everything and it was like nothing I had ever felt before.
You looked so little when you were born, you have very petite features and your head is tiny!  You are actually our biggest baby.  
As soon as you were born they laid you on my chest and you barely even cried.  You just kept sticking your tongue out.  
They let us hold you for about an hour and then they took you to get your bath.  Daddy said you hated it and cried really hard.
They brought you back to the room and I nursed you, you had a hard time latching on but once you did you nursed great.
You have a hemangioma on your stomach, its a benign tumor that will most likely go away by the time you are 10.  You have long fingers and little feet.  Everyone says you have your own look, there are times though that I look at you and think you look so much like Maddix or other times just like Emery.  You have hair, not a ton but you have it, you are also super fuzzy on your body. You have long hair on your shoulders and ears. 
Maddix and Emery were so excited to come and meet you. Maddix walked into the hospital room and said "Oh my gosh!  I'm so excited, she's Here!"  Emery walked right up to you and wanted to hold you.  She just kept starring at you and kissing your head.  Maddix thinks it is the best to be a big brother.
You had lots of visitors at the hospital.
The first night we were going to bed and you had just nursed, the nurse came in to check and you and I noticed that your lips were blue and it didn't look like you were breathing.  The nurse rubbed your chest and you took a deep breath, immediately you did it again.  The nurse decided it would be best to take you to the nursery to monitor you for a few hours.  It scared us really bad.  They brought you back after a few hours and you had to have an oxygen/heart monitor on for the rest of the night.  Your oxygen levels dropped a few times throughout the night but nothing like the first time.  The pediatrician came in the next morning and said that all your vitals looked great and you were probably just trying to figure everything out.  We really didn't notice it again after that first night.
We didn't have a name decided on for you.  We had lots of options but couldn't really decide on one.  It was the second night (late) that we finally agreed on your name.  Your dad came up with the idea for your middle name (actually your first name too).  We couldn't wait to tell Aunt Nicole that you were being named after her.  When she came into the room we had it written up on the board.  She was so excited and couldn't stop crying.  She loves you so much!
We took you home Saturday morning and everyone was here waiting for you.
When we pulled up to the house Maddix was crying, I went over and talked to him and he was sad because we didn't name you Cinderella, that's what him and Emery had decided your name should be.  I told him we could call you that as a nickname, and he just cried and said "but everyone else will call her Charly."
We are so excited that you are here! 
These amazing pictures were taken by Heather Telford.  She is awesome!

 We love you so much and are so grateful you are healthy and happy!

1 comment:

Oma said...

LOVE that Maddix & Emery wanted to name her Cinderella. I can't stop laughing!